The wanderings and discoveries of an independent philosopher - a Free Will with a big heart, if I say so myself.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I'm Alive - Want My Nano!

I think I might now be as close to Heaven as I'm ever going to get. In October, while I was making the transfer from AOL to a more reasonable Internet Service Provider (Tiscali) my Sony Hi8 Video Camcorder (bought in 1996) suddenly began to work perfectly again. On returning to the internet, instead of getting caught up again in the pointless nonsense which is what's mostly available to live webcam users, I found Vlogging, the art of uploading video files to the internet and then embedding them in web-pages/blogs. I then got the hardwareand software to upload from my Hi8 camera to the computer, edit and export the product to the internet (I haven't tried DVD writing yet, as I haven't used that medium at all, not having a DVD player.)
At last being able to edit my videos after at least 14 years of frustration is tremendously exciting.
This is the sort of fun I was working towards. I am now a Media Artist whose portfolio is going to soar in value as he polishes it with newly available technology and newly learned skills ( and God knows I always loved learning new and relevant skills.
Anyway, I came to YouTube as a host for my short videos in early November. Just for practise I learned how to upload and put up a whole lot of short snappy videos made on the cheap with a webcam during the late summer. Just over a week later I was informed by YouTube that I had won a 4GB Nano in their daily lucky draw......apparently you get more draws according to how many videos you have uploaded. Apparently after a week I was well past the number of videos most members had uploaded in even a year.
I didn't get too excited. Partly becuase I thought it was one of those marketing cons that involve sending off money to claim one's prize, or that it might be a deceitful way of getting my personal details (address, phone number, etc) for disreputable purposes. The main reason was that I didn't actually know what a Nano is, thinking it was just some cheap new kind of walkman.
Anyway, having won it on 13th November I did eventually claim my Nano and it was dispatched to me on 23rd November. I was informed 2 days ago that it is being held by the Post Office until £29-60 Customs Charges are paid. So....will it get sent back or will YouTube or someone else somehow help me overcome this hurdle so I can use these facilities:

Get to know iPod nano

Impossibly small
Take everything you love about iPod and shrink it — then shrink it again. Now meet iPod nano, the pencil-thin marvel featuring a color display, up to 14 hours of battery life and space for up to 1,000 skip-free songs, audiobooks and podcasts.

An iPod of historic dimensions
When it comes to iPod nano, you need to reconsider your definition of “small.” Slip it in your pocket — it weighs less than a handful of change. Or wear it around your neck and forget it’s there. Want to take it for a jog? No problem. Your music will never skip.

The color of music
Thanks to its 1.5-inch color display, iPod nano makes your music look as good as it sounds. View album art as you play your music. Browse up to 25,000 of your favorite photos. Or navigate bright, easy-to-read menus.

Born to be worn
Add accessories to your iPod nano and your music will always keep up with you — at home, on the go, even in your car. Get started by exploring our ingenious Lanyard Headphones and iPod nano Armbands.

100 percent iPod

100 percent iPod
iPod nano’s Click Wheel puts music under your thumb. Click to fast-forward, rewind, play, pause or access menus. Run your thumb over the touch-sensitive surface to control volume.

Up to 14 hours of battery life
Or up to 4 hours of slideshows with music. The iPod battery can be charged up to 80 percent capacity in an hour and a half; a full charge takes just 3 hours.

Note: Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced. Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. Learn more.

iPod GalleryTake iPod nano for a spin
Quicktime VRs

iPod nano Quicktime VRTake a closer look:
iPod nano Gallery

What’s Included

iPod nano box

In the Box

  • iPod nano
  • Earbud headphones
  • USB 2.0 cable
  • Dock adapter
  • QuickStart guide
  • CD with iTunes for Mac and Windows and features guide

iTunes Music Store
Access the iTunes Music Store from your computer 24 hours a day. Shop over a million songs, audiobooks and free podcasts, then download the ones you want with a single click.

Mac System Requirements

  • A Mac with built-in USB 2.0
  • Mac OS X v10.3.4 or later
  • iTunes 4.9 (included) or later

PC System Requirements

  • A PC with USB 2.0
  • Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or Windows XP Home or Professional Service Pack 2 or later
  • iTunes 4.9 (included) or later


Hope it's soon. I want to do this

About Me

My photo
Professor Emeritus (Camster, Oxon) in Cannabinology, Erotology, Serendipity Para-Temporal Levitics, Media Arts & Celtic Zen Love Magic (ie: Tripping). I'm currently trying to connect all my internet material into one organic system - or "something like that". Oh, what larks!